It all comes down to a pretty high set of standards set by the government. They decide what’s what. But we can tell you this—you’ve got to be all of the things below if you want to be labeled bourbon. And Jim Beam doesn’t just fit the bill, it’s the world’s #1 bourbon.
1. Made in United States of America (not Kentucky)
2. Product from a fermented mash of 51% corn.
3. Distilled at no more than 160 proof
4. Stored at no more than 125 proof in new, charred oak barrels.
5. Aged for minimum two years.
6. Free from additives.